We’ve all been there. A deadline is looming, and you have hit a wall. It could be procrastination, where you become suddenly interested in crocheting or inventorying your entire closet or learning Japanese, all in the name of avoidance. It could also be that the ideas have run out. Or even that you simply lack the stamina to finish.
Fear not, here is a playlist to help get those creative juices flowing and kickstart your motivation (ironically I used this list to help me stop procrastinating finishing this piece):
1. “My Shot” from Hamilton
All of the odds were against him, and he pushed through.
2. “The Wizard and I” from Wicked
While ‘Defying Gravity’ seems like the more obvious choice, this song is so uplifting while also being about achieving big dreams.
3. “Don’t Rain on My Parade” from Funny Girl
Get out of my way, a train of awesome coming through.
4. “Seize the Day” from Newsies
Band together with those in your situation. There are others out there!
5. “Finale B” from Rent
We have to make every moment count because we don’t know when our time is up. It is hopeful while also being motivational.
6. “School of Rock” (Teacher’s Pet) from School of Rock
Don’t worry about being what everyone else says you should be, go after your passions.
7. “Middle of a Moment” from James and the Giant Peach
It can feel like this time is going to last forever, but there is light at the other side of your tunnel.
8. “Son of Man” from Tarzan
The journey is just as important as the destination. This moment will one day be part of the ‘working on it’ montage in the movie of your life.
9. “Something’s Coming” from West Side Story
Your future it out there, just waiting for you to take hold of it and make it incredible.
10. “So Much Better” from Legally Blonde
You can achieve anything you set your mind to and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
11. “Let Me Be Your Star” from Smash
(okay, not technically Broadway but…) This is your chance to dazzle them with your talents and abilities, make it count.
12. “I Have Confidence” from The Sound of Music
Channel your inner Julie Andrews. Between her and her character, there is no confidence lacking. Borrow some.
13. “Do You Hear The People Sing” from Les Miserables
You will not be a slave to this deadline anymore!
14. “Revolting Children” from Matilda
Sometimes you have to break the rules and think outside of the box.
15. “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going” from Dreamgirls
You’re winning them over already, keep it up! You! Yeah, you! You’re going to love me!
16. “Wait For It” from Hamilton
Your incredible future and your big break, are all coming soon, just hang on and wait for it.