From performing lifts and jumps to endlessly trying not to get sick, one of the most important parts of being a performer is staying fit. Part of every great workout is having a playlist that keeps you energized and motivated. The next time you need go-to songs for the treadmill or weights, here are 15 tracks that will suit you perfectly:
1. “My Shot” from “Hamilton”
Lin-Manuel Miranda’s hip-hop-influenced sound in “Hamilton” is perfect for that motivational build during the tougher parts of working out. In true “Hamilton” fashion, this song’s spirit will help you “talk less, smile more.”
2. “So Much Better” from “Legally Blonde”
The Act 1 finale of this upbeat, high-energy show is a great go-to for fast-paced activities. To borrow another song title from the show, Elle’s turning point as a character will get you “whipped into shape” for sure.
3. “Defying Gravity” from “Wicked”
As one of the greatest show tunes in contemporary musical theatre, this song will generate excitement that will never bring you down, even during the toughest reps of your workout.
4. “You’re in the Band” from “School of Rock”
Sometimes you just need the energy of a bunch of kids to keep going on that grind. This number should do the trick!
5. “What I Was Born to Do” from “Bring It On: The Musical”
One of the more athletic musicals to hit Broadway in recent years, this show oozes in competitiveness and dance-heavy numbers that will make aerobics and cardio worthwhile.
6. “I’m Alive” from “Next to Normal”
Because honestly, who isn’t muttering this song’s title in relief after a strenuous time at the gym?
7. “You Can’t Stop the Beat” from “Hairspray”
While your heart’s keeping time to the speed of sound, you’re sweating away to seek the best results for your body. Keep it up!
8. “Carnaval del Barrio” from “In the Heights”
This irresistible Latin-style jam is a great choice for Zumba and will leave you and your dancers proclaiming “Wepa!” after a fun session.
9. “Sex Is in the Heel” from “Kinky Boots”
No workout — or should we say werrrrrk-out — is complete without at least one song from this outrageously fun show.
10. “Hot Honey Rag” from “Chicago”
Both the physically exhausting choreography and the upbeat jazz music speak for themselves here to keep you hyped up during your routines.
11. “The River of Dreams/Keeping the Faith/Only the Good Die Young” from “Movin’ Out”
This thrilling medley is a fantastic piece for dance-heavy workouts that would leave even Twyla Tharp breathless.
12. “My Dead Gay Son” from “Heathers”
Working out to this “fancy-free and reckless” song will make people who envy your physique ask yourself, “What’s their damage?”
13. “The Angry Dance” from “Billy Elliot”
The rage these characters feel during this song will help you push through to your physical limits, especially during weight training.
14. “Take Me to Heaven (Reprise)” from “Sister Act”
Let this song be your prayer or divine calling to keep pushing through the end of your gym time.
15. “Make Me Stronger” from “Memphis”
The title says it all. Your dedication and self-motivation always pay off in the end.