No matter how much training you undergo and how much attention you give to your craft, come audition time, your thought process tends to get, well, a bit crazy. It typically goes a little something like this:
1. How should I do my hair?
2. Has my hair always looked this bad?
3. I’ll cut my hair after I book this job.
4. Do I have lines?
5. How far away is the studio?
6. Will there be parking?
7. Oh, I like that casting office.
8. Oh, it’s in the casting office next to the big Whole Foods — totally going there after.
9. Should I wear the yellow sweater that makes me look approachable or the green shirt that makes my eyes pop?
10. Is my audition shirt clean?
11. Do I look too old for this part?
12. Maybe I should wear less makeup.
13. Why did I eat pizza last night?
14. If I leave now, I’ll be early, but will that make me look prepared or desperate?
15. What if there’s traffic? Then I’ll be late! Why didn’t I leave 10 minutes ago?
16. Should I have brought meter money?
17. Wow, there are a lot of other actors in this waiting room.
18. Why didn’t I wear my flannel? Of course that’s the look they’re going for!
19. I’m awesome, and I’m totally going to book this.
20. Please, god, I need this job.
21. Great, now I have “A Chorus Line” in my head.
22. At least let me get a callback.
23. If I book this, I’m totally going to buy that cute jacket — or get some new headshots.
24. Excuse me, when I book this. Positive vibes! Positive vibes! Visualizing it! Yes!
25. OK, here goes nothing! I’m going to be the best Moviegoer #3 they’ve ever seen.
Share some of your audition thought process with us in the comments below…
Lisa is a voice over actress and writer with her B.F.A in Acting from Wright State University. Lisa lives in Los Angeles and when she's not writing or performing she's usually drinking wine and dressing up her Shih Tzu in funny outfits.